File history allows the user to create the backup. Using this file history, users can easily create a backup for folders, files, documents on the hard drive or in the OS. But many users reported that the file history is not working on the Windows 10 system. The error occurs when the system is not tuned correctly or the history file option is disabled. You can check for the common causes behind the error and then try to fix it manually.
Enable the File History
- The file history option is disabled by default. If you need to create the backup then turn on the file history feature on your system. Users can easily enable the file history by using the control panel or the settings.
- Enabling file history using Settings
- The user has to connect external storage on the system
- Go to your Main Menu and top on settings
- In settings, click on the Update and Security page
- Choose the Add a drive option
- Click on the appropriate drive for creating your backup. Now the user has to follow some on-screen instructions to create the backup.
Try decrypting the Bitlocker drive encryption
- The error in file history can occur when the Bitlocker is encrypted. This file can create issues while creating the backup. User can decrypt the Bitlocker drive by using the mentioned steps:
- Go to the Windows control panel and click on system and security
- Choose the Bitlocker Drive Encryption option
- Click on the targeted drive you need to decrypt and then turn off BitLocker
- The user has to enter the password for unlocking the drive. Now decrypt the file and then the user can create the backup for their data.
Check for the Windows Related Error Codes
Many users reported that they are getting Windows Update Error 0x80070422 and then file history is not working. The user has to troubleshoot the error code and then fix the issue. When you get the error code, check the system files. The error code on Windows occurs when the system files get corrupted. But users should not try to edit the files manually. System files are very complicated.
A single error on the file can lead the user into other issues. Users should ask for professional help for repairing the system files. Otherwise, you can also run the SFC tool on the system. The SFC can easily repair the files. The tool will inspect these files easily. It automatically repairs all the files which are causing the error. After fixing the error code on your system, users can easily access the file history.
Try decrypting EPS files
- Your file history can get into errors when the files are not supporting the NTFS file format. You can’t get the backup of your file if it is not supporting the NTFS file format. The user needs to decrypt the file or he can also remove the network pathway. You can use these steps for decrypting the files
- Go to the file on Windows explorer
- Click on the targeted file and then go to your drive
- Now click on the drop-down menu and choose properties
- Click on the General tab on your properties window
- Tap on Advanced and then uncheck the Encrypt contents option. After decrypting the EPS file, the user can easily create a backup for his files.
Try Running the Malware Scan
A malware infection can also lead the file history errors. Viruses corrupt the file history and then the user faces backup related issues. You can’t create the backup until you remove all those dangerous threats from the system. The user has to remove all those viruses and malware to fix the file history error. Run the Windows Defender for removing the viruses. If the Defender is unable to remove all malware then use a premium antivirus that can flush out all dangerous malware from your system.